Mechanical Engineering (Extended), BEng Hons
Mechanical Engineering keeps the world moving, from bicycles to bi-planes, catapults to cranes, super cars to satellites and everything in between. Mechanical Engineers apply the fundamentals of science and mathematics to create practical, useful solutions that the rest of us can use. If it moves, or contains moving parts, mechanical engineers are behind it. They use the earth's energy and natural resources intelligently and efficiently to come up with optimum and cost effective solutions. Our programme prepares students for careers as professional mechanical engineers with the focus on innovation, analysis and development within a wide range of advanced engineering technologies. The programme, using our 3000m² of specialist and integrated engineering laboratories, aims to develop a strong knowledge of engineering concepts across all mechanical subject areas, so as to form a basis for complex problem solving and innovation in whatever area the engineer is employed. A key feature of the programme is the exposure of students to real industrial problems, where leadership skills are developed through a team working approach.
This BEng Hons (Extended) degree programme is identical to the BEng Hons, but also includes a foundation year and has a slightly lower entry tariff. The aims of the programme are:
- To provide you with the knowledge and skills relevant to a career as a professional engineer who can work effectively with current and future mechanical engineering technologies, methods and standards
- To support you in understanding the innovative and pioneering approaches in this field and to be able to apply them to the solution of real-world problems to develop new mechanical engineering solutions that better society
- To help you acquire the knowledge and skills required to perform a variety of professional roles within mechanical engineering and associated specialist fields.
H308 M BEng/MEEx
4 years full-time
5 years sandwich
Part-time modes available
Applicants should have:
160 UCAS points
FROM 2 or 3 A levels with an additional AS level (including mathematics or a physical science/numerate subject) OR a National Diploma in engineering or relevant subject at MPP
PLUS at least three GCSEs at grade C or above (including English, mathematics and a science) or equivalent.
* Qualifications not listed above will be considered on application.
* Where relevant you should have a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 (with a minimum of 5.5 in each skill) or an equivalent rating in another Secure English Language Test.
Student progress is assessed through a mix of examinations, assignments and project/lab work.
Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) accreditation.
Graduates from this programme will be able to obtain employment in high-value manufacturing, automotive and aerospace industries. A number of former students have opted to create their own companies or for further postgraduate study.
- Engineering Project Design and Implementation
- Professional and Personal Development
- Introduction to Engineering Mathematics
- Engineering Mathematics 1 & 2
- Design and Materials
- Practical and Experimental Skills
- Engineering Professional Skills 1 & 2
- Engineering Management 1
- Electrical Circuits
- Fluids and Powder Dynamics
- Mechanics and Design of Machines
- Individual Project
- Options from a range including: Numerical Methods in Mechanical Engineering; Control and Mechatronics; Advanced Fluid Mechanics; Thermal Power Plant and Heat Transfer; Engineering Systems Dynamics; Materials Under Stress; Bulk Solids Handling; Operations Management
- Process Improvement Techniques
- Quality Engineering
Your time at university should be enjoyable and rewarding, and it is important that it is not spoilt by unnecessary financial worries. We recommend that you spend time planning your finances, both before coming to university and while you are here. We can offer advice on living costs and budgeting, as well as on awards, allowances and loans.
Find out more about our fees and the support available to you at our:
Related programmes you may also be interested in
- Civil Engineering Programmes
- Computer and Intelligent Systems Engineering Programmes
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering Programmes
- Engineering Technology Programmes
- General and Management Engineering Programmes
- Industrial Engineering and Design Programmes
- Mechanical Engineering Programmes