Industrial Engineering, BEng Hons
Industrial engineering is still as ubiquitous today as it ever has been. Every product that you can buy has been manufactured at some point and an industrial engineer has played a major role in its realisation. From the bread in the supermarket to supersonic jets, industrial engineers ensure that all the necessary processes and components are in place for a product to be able to be made on time and on budget. On this programme, you will learn about operational analysis, process engineering, design, and manufacturing techniques and practices, with a particular focus on high-value manufacturing. You will also use our 3000m² of specialist and integrated engineering laboratories that encompass many subject disciplines to learn how businesses operate and function and understand how industrial processes need to meet financial and business challenges as much as engineering ones.
This degree programme is three years long in full-time mode. It is a new programme, but it is strongly anticipated that it will be accredited as: (1) fully satisfying the educational base for an Incorporated Engineer (IEng); and, (2) partially satisfying the educational base for a Chartered Engineer (CEng). A programme of accredited Further Learning will be required to complete the educational base for CEng. See, for example, http://www.theiet.org for further information and details of Further Learning programmes for CEng status. Please see the MEng programmes if you are looking for CEng status without further academic study.
The aims of the programme are:
- To provide you with the knowledge and skills relevant to a career with current and future industry design and manufacturing technologies, methods and standards
- To support you in understanding the innovative and pioneering approaches in this field and apply them to the solution of real-world problems to develop new industrially-relevant solutions
- To help you acquire the knowledge and skills required to perform a variety of professional roles within engineering, industry, management, and associated specialist fields.
H103 M BEng/IndEn
3 years full-time
4 years sandwich
Part time modes are available.
Applicants should have:
300 UCAS points
FROM 2 or 3 A levels with an additional AS level (of which 80 points from A2 mathematics or a physical science / numerate subject) OR BTEC/EdExcel ED at DMM (280) including Distinction in: Mathematics for Engineering Technicians (Unit 4) and Further Mathematics for Engineering Technicians (Unit 28)
PLUS at least three GCSEs at grade C or above (including English, mathematics and science) or equivalent.
* Qualifications not listed above will be considered on application.
* Where relevant you should have a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 (with a minimum of 5.5 in each skill) or an equivalent in another Secure English Language Test.
* Direct entry to stage 2 will be considered if applicants have FdSc, FdEng in an appropriate subject or a BTEC/EdExcel/SCOTVEC HND/C.
Project-based tasks, laboratory experiments, formative and summative assignments, and formal examinations.
Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) accreditation is strongly anticipated.
Technology, engineering and management-based careers, high-value manufacturing with roles in large enterprises, small to medium sized companies, entrepreneurship, or further postgraduate study.
- Engineering Mathematics 1 & 2
- Design and Materials
- Practical and Experimental Skills
- Engineering Professional Skills 1 & 2
- Exploiting Capital and Managing Risk
- Process Simulation and Design
- Product Design and Development
- Introduction to Manufacturing Systems
- Accounting, Finance and Business Planning
- Computer Aided Design
- Industrial Engineering
- Individual Project
- Engineering Management 1 & 2
- Operations Management
- Quality Engineering
- Process Improvement Techniques
- Advanced Industrial Engineering
Your time at university should be enjoyable and rewarding, and it is important that it is not spoilt by unnecessary financial worries. We recommend that you spend time planning your finances, both before coming to university and while you are here. We can offer advice on living costs and budgeting, as well as on awards, allowances and loans.
Find out more about our fees and the support available to you at our:
Related programmes you may also be interested in
- Civil Engineering Programmes
- Computer and Intelligent Systems Engineering Programmes
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering Programmes
- Engineering Technology Programmes
- General and Management Engineering Programmes
- Industrial Engineering and Design Programmes
- Mechanical Engineering Programmes