Engineering Management, BEng Hons
CEOs of large, successful companies and self-made millionaires are more likely to have studied on an engineering degree programme than any other subject area. The technical knowledge, analytical and mathematical skills, and creative problem-solving attitude gained from an engineering degree are well suited to strategic and enterprise-level roles in industry. Most science and technology undergraduate degree programmes typically do not reflect the growing multidisciplinary characteristics of the modern business enterprise. However, our degree programme in Engineering Management is designed explicitly to provide a solid technical background combined with an understanding of modern business and management practices. This degree programme offers a broad-based approach, introducing the major engineering disciplines to provide a solid background in the principles and processes used to solve complex problems. Engineering skills you will acquire, such as optimisation and simulation, are directly transferable to enterprise management. Approaches to systems-wide engineering solutions are also highly relevant to many large-scale industrial challenges as both involve the need to identify, understand and design for large, interconnected networks of stakeholders. Our degree programme in Engineering Management also enables you to acquire management skills, both personal and interpersonal, together with knowledge of modern management techniques and business applications.
The BEng degree programme is 3 years in full-time mode and meets the educational requirements for registration as an incorporated engineer (IEng). Please see MEng programmes if you are looking for CEng status without further academic study. The aims of the programme are:
- To provide you with the knowledge and skills relevant to a career as a professional engineering manager who can work effectively with current and future industrial technologies, methods and standards
- To support you in understanding the innovative and pioneering approaches in this field and to be able to apply them to the solution of real-world problems to develop new industrially-relevant solutions
- To help you acquire the knowledge and skills required to perform a variety of professional roles within engineering management, industry, and associated specialist fields
HN1F M BEng/EBM
3 years full-time
4 years sandwich
Part-time modes available
Applicants should have:
300 UCAS points
FROM 2 or 3 A levels with an additional AS level (of which 80 points from A2 mathematics or a physical science/numerate subject) OR BTEC/EdExcel ED at DMM (280) including Distinction in: Mathematics for Engineering Technicians (Unit 4) and Further Mathematics for Engineering Technicians (Unit 28)
PLUS at least three GCSEs at grade C or above (including English, mathematics and a science) or equivalent.
* Qualifications not listed above will be considered on application. * Where relevant you should have a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 (with a minimum of 5.5 in each skill) or an equivalent rating in another Secure English Language Test. * Direct entry to stage 2 will be considered if applicants have FdSc, FdEng in an appropriate subject or a BTEC/EdExcel/SCOTVEC HND/C.
Project-based tasks, laboratory experiments, formative and summative assignments, and formal examinations.
Management careers, particularly in high-value manufacturing, entrepreneurship or full time postgraduate study.
- Engineering Mathematics 1 & 2
- Design and Materials
- Practical and Experimental Skills
- Engineering Professional Skills 1 & 2
- Exploiting Capital and Managing Risk
- Product Design and Development
- Introduction to Manufacturing Systems
- Accounting, Finance and Business Planning
- Computer Aided Design
- Strategic Management
- Individual Project
- Engineering Management 1 & 2
- Operations Management
- Quality Engineering
- Engineering Enterprise
Your time at university should be enjoyable and rewarding, and it is important that it is not spoilt by unnecessary financial worries. We recommend that you spend time planning your finances, both before coming to university and while you are here. We can offer advice on living costs and budgeting, as well as on awards, allowances and loans.
Find out more about our fees and the support available to you at our:
Related programmes you may also be interested in
- Engineering - Civil Programmes
- Engineering - Electrical and Electronic Programmes
- Engineering - General Programmes
- Engineering - Mechanical Programmes
Related programmes you may also be interested in
- Civil Engineering Programmes
- Computer and Intelligent Systems Engineering Programmes
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering Programmes
- Engineering Technology Programmes
- General and Management Engineering Programmes
- Industrial Engineering and Design Programmes
- Mechanical Engineering Programmes