Computer Engineering (Extended), BEng Hons
Computing is no longer restricted to desktop computers and business environments, but has become an integral part of the way we live. This is a rapidly advancing industry and there is a clear need for a new generation of computing professionals that can adapt to these changes and develop the software, hardware and networking solutions of the future. Unlike traditional computer science degrees, you will not simply be taught strict theoretical programming. This degree programme will allow you hands on, practical experience in developing and using applications for a range of computing platforms and hardware. This degree programme will teach you how computers work and how to create the applications that run on them. For example, you will have the opportunity to develop applications for robots, embedded and real-time systems, and other innovative ICTs. In using our 3000m² of specialist and integrated engineering laboratories, you will also learn how industry standard tools and techniques can be used to find and develop solutions to many of the challenges in this area of engineering.
This BEng Hons (Extended) degree programme is identical to the BEng Hons, but also has a foundation year and has a slightly lower entry tariff.
The aims of the programme are:
- To provide you with the knowledge and skills relevant to a career as a professional engineer who can work effectively with current and future computer and ICT technologies, methods and standards
- To support you in understanding the innovative and pioneering approaches in this field and to be able to apply them to the solution of real-world problems to develop new computer-based engineering solutions
- To help you acquire the knowledge and skills required to perform a variety of professional roles within computing, engineering, ICT and associated specialist fields, including management roles.
Please telephone Enquiry Unit on 020 8331 9000
4 years full-time
5 years sandwich
Part-time modes are available
Applicants should have:
160 UCAS points
FROM 2 or 3 A levels with an additional AS level (including mathematics or a physical science/numerate subject) OR a National Diploma in Engineering or relevant subject at MPP
PLUS at least three GCSEs at grade C or above (including English, mathematics and a science) or equivalent.
* Qualifications not listed above will be considered on application.
* Where appropriate you should have a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 (with a minimum of 5.5 in each skill) or an equivalent rating in another Secure English Language Test.
Project-based tasks, laboratory experiments, formative and summative assignments, and formal examinations.
Technology, engineering and computing-based careers, entertainment, industry, government and educational sectors, entrepreneurship or further postgraduate study.
- Engineering Mathematics
- Design and Materials
- Practical and Experimental Skills
- Engineering Professional Skills
- Engineering Management
- Computer Architectures and Operating Systems
- Digital and Embedded Electronic Systems
- Programming for Engineers
- Mobile Applications Engineering
- Software Engineering
- Sensors and Networks
- Attributes for Employability and Professional Development
- Group Industrial Project
- Web Systems Engineering
- Secure Systems Engineering
- Advanced Computer Engineering
- Network Routing Management
Your time at university should be enjoyable and rewarding, and it is important that it is not spoilt by unnecessary financial worries. We recommend that you spend time planning your finances, both before coming to university and while you are here. We can offer advice on living costs and budgeting, as well as on awards, allowances and loans.
Find out more about our fees and the support available to you at our:
Related programmes you may also be interested in
- Civil Engineering Programmes
- Computer and Intelligent Systems Engineering Programmes
- Computing - Information Technology Programmes
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering Programmes
- Engineering Technology Programmes
- General and Management Engineering Programmes
- General Computing Programmes
- Industrial Engineering and Design Programmes
- Mathematics and Statistics programmes
- Mechanical Engineering Programmes
- Multimedia Programmes