Engineering for Intelligent Systems (Extended), BEng Hons
The digital world is changing from a world of computers to a world of connected smart devices and intelligent systems embedded in the environment, commonly described as the Internet of Things. The future of technology is increasingly focused on bringing the virtual world into the real world through innovations such as home automation systems and smart watches. At the same time, there are hardware advances such as robots that can vacuum your floors, walk, dance, and even climb stairs. Developments in sensing technology allow people to play with games consoles by simply waving their arms. These trends will gain pace as technology moves away from the keyboard and screen to become truly embedded in the environment around you. The move towards smart interconnected devices is going to be as revolutionary as the advent of personal computing, but will only be successful if companies can combine the traditional disciplines of computing and engineering to develop a new generation of intelligent systems that are designed to integrate together seamlessly. This exciting new degree programme is uniquely placed to provide you with the skills to be at the cutting edge of this new area by developing your skills as a cross-disciplinary innovator.
This BEng Hons (Extended) degree programme is identical to the BEng Hons, but also includes a foundation year. It is a new programme, but it is strongly anticipated that it will be accredited as: (1) fully satisfying the educational base for an Incorporated Engineer (IEng); and, (2) partially satisfying the educational base for a Chartered Engineer (CEng). A programme of accredited Further Learning will be required to complete the educational base for CEng. See, for example, http://www.theiet.org for further information and details of Further Learning programmes for CEng status.
The aims of this programme are:
- To provide you with the knowledge and skills relevant to a career as a professional engineer who can work effectively with current and future engineering product/ intelligent system development and production/implementation methods
- To support you in understanding the innovative and pioneering approaches in this field and to be able to apply them to the solution of real-world problems to develop new products and technologies for the Internet of Things
- To help you acquire the knowledge and skills required to perform a variety of professional roles within Engineering, Mechatronics, Robotics and Computing.
65H0 M BEng/ElSe
4 years full-time
5 years sandwich
Part-time mode available
Applicants should have:
160 UCAS points
FROM 2 or 3 A levels with an additional AS level (in mathematics or a physical science/numerate subject)
OR a National Diploma in Engineering or relevant subject at MPP
PLUS at least three GCSEs at grade C or above (including English, mathematics and a science) or equivalent.
* Qualifications not listed above will be considered on application.
* Where appropriate you should have a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 (with a minimum of 5.5 in each skill) or an equivalent rating in another Secure English Language Test.
3000m² of specialist and integrated engineering laboratories.
Student progress is assessed through a mix of examinations, assignments and project/laboratory work.
This is a brand new programme, but Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) accreditation is strongly anticipated.
A wide range of technology, engineering and computing-based careers, particularly in the fields of emerging technologies. A number of former students have opted to create their own companies.
- Engineering Project Design and Implementation
- Professional and Personal Development
- Introduction to Engineering Mathematics
- Engineering Mathematics 1 & 2
- Design and Materials
- Practical and Experimental Skills
- Engineering Professional Skills 1 & 2
- Engineering Management 1
- Materials for Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Electrical Circuits
- Programming for Engineers
- Digital Electronics
- Control and Instrumentation
- Sensors and Networks
- Distributed Networks
- Secure Systems Engineering
- Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Systems
- User-Centred Design
- Individual Project
Your time at university should be enjoyable and rewarding, and it is important that it is not spoilt by unnecessary financial worries. We recommend that you spend time planning your finances, both before coming to university and while you are here. We can offer advice on living costs and budgeting, as well as on awards, allowances and loans.
Find out more about our fees and the support available to you at our:
Related programmes you may also be interested in
- Civil Engineering Programmes
- Computer and Intelligent Systems Engineering Programmes
- Computing - Information Technology Programmes
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering Programmes
- Engineering Technology Programmes
- General and Management Engineering Programmes
- General Computing Programmes
- Industrial Engineering and Design Programmes
- Mathematics and Statistics programmes
- Mechanical Engineering Programmes
- Multimedia Programmes