Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, MSc
Pharmaceutical Biotechnology is the science that covers all technologies required for the production, manufacturing and registration of biological drugs. Advances in recombinant genetics facilitate the routine cloning of genes and the creation of genetically modified organisms that can be used in industrial production. Pharmaceutical Biotechnology is a rapidly evolving and multidisciplinary field and our MSc Pharmaceutical Biotechnology programme will focus on the new developments in the production of proteins, organisms, DNA-based vaccines, therapeutic proteins, downstream processing and characterisation, bioinformatics, advanced molecular principles, and research methods.
Our MSc Pharmaceutical Biotechnology programme produces graduates with a critical and analytical capability and a flexible approach to problem solving. These skills will enhance your laboratory and professional competence at a supervisory level and you will be able to work independently and use your initiative to solve the diverse problems you may encounter. You will also be able to bring a creative approach to the development and promotion of new biotechnology products. Biotechnology is developing rapidly; there is a major emphasis on product- and process-oriented biotechnological research and development for applications in agriculture, industry and the health sector. These applications will bring benefits for society and are increasingly recognised by governments, industry and financial institutions. Our programme helps to address the expanding demand from international markets for graduates with an excellent knowledge of biotechnology.
The aims of the programme are:
- To provide students with an understanding of the subject specific knowledge, as well as a critical, analytical and flexible approach to problem-solving in the field of pharmaceutical biotechnology
- To provide students with enhanced practical and professional skills and thus prepare students effectively for professional employment or doctoral studies in the field of biotechnology
- To enable students to work independently and use initiative in solving the diverse problems that may be encountered
- To instill a critical awareness of advances at the forefront of biotechnology.
1 year full-time
Applicants should have:
A UK honours degree in biotechnology, molecular biology, biochemistry or other relevant field, normally at 2.1 or above (or equivalent).
- Students who do not have English as their first language must have an IELTS score of 6.5 or above or an equivalent rating in another recognised language testing system.
- Alternatively, students can enter via the University of Greenwich International Pre-Masters' Programme.
- Applicants from other backgrounds may be considered.
Coursework, examinations, presentations, thesis, on-line assessment. This programme involves a series of lectures, seminars and workshops.Case studies will provide you with exposure to up-to-date problems and enhance your problem solving and team-work in a way that simulates an industrial setting. A research project in a well equipped department led by staff with a diversity of research experience will give you the opportunity to carry out novel research and enhance your practical skills, analytical thinking and independence.
Biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries, intellectual property industry (IP), academics, bio-informatics/IT, health services, research and higher degrees (PhD).
Students are required to study the following compulsory courses.
Your time at university should be enjoyable and rewarding, and it is important that it is not spoilt by unnecessary financial worries. We recommend that you spend time planning your finances, both before coming to university and while you are here. We can offer advice on living costs and budgeting, as well as on awards, allowances and loans.
Find out more about our fees and the support available to you at our:
Chemical, Pharm. & Life Sci.
From forensic science and chemistry to pharmaceutical science and human nutrition. Whatever you choose to study you will be taught by experienced staff in state-of-the-art labs and gain important skills.