This is a multidisciplinary degree that brings together aspects of chemistry, biology and cell biology. The courses are carefully tailored to cover the knowledge in key fields such as gene therapy, drug design, genomics, proteomics, genetic engineering for plants, animals and micro-organisms, and bioinformatics. The purpose of this programme is to serve the needs of international and local students who require additional training relevant to their professional development.
This degree provides a programme of study for appropriately qualified and experienced graduates. It produces graduates with a critical, analytical and flexible approach to problem solving, enhancing laboratory and professional competence and enabling students to work independently and use their initiative in solving the diverse problems they encounter.
The programme helps you to obtain a creative attitude to the development and manufacture of biotechnology products. The intention is that skills and knowledge can be more readily transferred to professional activities.
The aims of the programme are:
- To provide students with subject-specific knowledge, as well as a critical, analytical and flexible approach to problem solving in the field of biotechnology
- To provide students with enhanced practical and professional skills and thus prepare them effectively for professional employment or doctoral studies in the field of biotechnology
- To enable students to work independently and use initiative to solve the diverse problems they may encounter
- To instill a critical awareness of advances at the forefront of biotechnology.
1 year full-time
Applicants should have:
A BSc honours degree normally at 2.1 or above in biotechnology, molecular biology or related subjects
OR equivalent qualifications
OR substantial experience.
* Students who do not have English as their first language, must have an IELTS score of 6.5 or above or an equivalent rating in another recognised language testing system.
* Applicants from other backgrounds may be considered.
Coursework, examinations, presentations, thesis, on-line assessment. This programme involves a series of lectures, seminars and workshops. Case studies will provide you with exposure to up-to-date problems and enhance your problem solving and team-work in a way that simulates an industrial setting. A research project in a well equipped department led by staff with a diversity of research experience will give you the opportunity to carry out novel research and enhance your practical skills, analytical thinking and independence.
Biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries, intellectual property industry (IP), academics, bio-informatics/IT, health services, research and higher degrees (PhD).
Students are required to study the following compulsory courses.
- Biotechnology Research Projects (60 credits)
- Bioinformatics (30 credits)
- Research Methods and Data management (30 credits)
- English Language Support (for Postgraduate students in the School of Science)
- Applied Molecular Biology (30 credits)
Students are required to choose 1 course from this list of options.
Your time at university should be enjoyable and rewarding, and it is important that it is not spoilt by unnecessary financial worries. We recommend that you spend time planning your finances, both before coming to university and while you are here. We can offer advice on living costs and budgeting, as well as on awards, allowances and loans.
Find out more about our fees and the support available to you at our:
Chemical, Pharm. & Life Sci.
From forensic science and chemistry to pharmaceutical science and human nutrition. Whatever you choose to study you will be taught by experienced staff in state-of-the-art labs and gain important skills.
Download Biotechnology, MSc brochure (PDF format)
"I am currently employed by a company called Yoomi (Feed Me bottles Ltd). My title is Production & Process Engineer and I have held this role since 2010.
Having completed Master's at the University of Greenwich it gave me the perfect stepping-stone into the Industry I work for at the moment. The course was a lot of hard work, constantly stretching me, but it was has all been tremendous fun.
As an international student, I would recommend the University of Greenwich for anyone seeking for a new direction in life."
Dimal De Silva,
MSc Biotechnology graduate