- Professional Development Portfolio
- Theories of Learning, Behaviour and Inclusion
- Policy and Curriculum Issues
- Research and Scholarship for the Development of Subject Specialist Expertise
- Professional Development Portfolio
This programme leads to initial teaching qualifications for those who intend to teach in further education colleges, sixth-form colleges, adult education centres, art colleges, health care or community organisations, the public services and a wide range of commercial and voluntary organisations.
The programme covers the skills needed for teaching and classroom management and helps students to explore the theory underpinning teaching and learning.
The core full-time programme takes place in a placement college where students complete a minimum of 100 hours of teaching experience. In Phase 1, you will be attached to a placement college of further education or similar institution for three days a week to observe and undertake teaching in your subject area. You will be supported and assessed by a mentor and a tutor at the university. You will attend the university for the remaining two days of the week. In Phase 2, you will attend your placement college for four days a week to complete your teaching practice and to participate fully in a range of professional activities. You will attend the university for the remaining day of the week. You will specialise in your chosen subject during your placement and through your assignments. Study at the university, meanwhile, focuses on pedagogic skills and underpinning knowledge and provides a space for you to explore the relationship between theory and practice.
We are currently able to offer placements to full-time students, in the following subject areas: Art and design art (3D/2D); Beauty; Business; Catering; Childcare; Construction; English; ESOL; Graphic design; Hairdressing; Health and social care; IT and computing; Law; Leisure and tourism; Literacy; Media studies; Music technology; Numeracy; Performing arts; Photography; Psychology; Science; Sociology; Sports science.
The distance learning mode offers you the opportunity to study flexibly in your free time. You will be given study guides to work through and receive extra support via our virtual learning environment, where you can access course material and interact with tutors and other students. You will also be supported by a personal tutor throughout the programme. Mentors supporting will be responsible for carrying out three teaching observations a year and regular progress meetings.
The aims of the programme are:
1 year full-time
2 years distance-learning
(September or January start)
Applicants should have:
* A degree in a relevant subject with a minimum classification of 2:2 for entry onto the Professional Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE Prof)
* A degree in a relevant subject with a minimum classification of 2:1 for entry onto the Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE FE)
AND GCSE English at minimum grade C (or equivalent).
* You will be required to: Attend an interview; undertake a literacy screening assessment; undergo a Disclosure and Barring Service check (full-time only) and an occupational health screening.
* For the distance learning mode, you must be teaching/training for at least 100 hours over the course of the programme and have the support of a mentor who teaches your subject (or related subject). If you are already in work-based training, your mentor should have at least three years' experience and provide a CV and a letter from their institution.
The programme is entirely based on coursework and teaching observations.
Graduates for this programme can pursue a teaching career in the lifelong learning sector.
Applicants for this programme should apply online at www.ucas.com/ucas/teacher-training/apply-and-track
Your time at university should be enjoyable and rewarding, and it is important that it is not spoilt by unnecessary financial worries. We recommend that you spend time planning your finances, both before coming to university and while you are here. We can offer advice on living costs and budgeting, as well as on awards, allowances and loans.Find out more about our fees and the support available to you at our:
Our lifelong learning programme opens the door to a wide range of teaching careers. You'll gain a recognised qualification and the skills you need to teach in a college, community or professional environment.
Download Lifelong Learning Sector (Full-Time Programme) brochure (PDF format)
Download Lifelong Learning Sector (Distance Learning Programme) brochure (PDF format)