Finance and Investment, MSc
Based at our Greenwich Campus and situated within minutes of the financial centre of Canary Wharf, this programme provides rigorous coverage of finance and investment.
You should consider this programme if you are either working in or targeting a career in banking, investment or trading. It is particularly suitable if you wish to undertake a professional qualification and have a business, economics or numerate background.
The syllabus covers all key theoretical areas of finance and investment analysis. It also focuses strongly on developing analytical skills needed by the finance industry. The research project, which focuses on data analysis of financial markets, provides a key practical underpinning for the large body of theory covered.
The degree will help you prepare for Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) examinations. The prestigious CFA qualification is considered gold standard for competency and integrity for investment professionals. This is recognised in key financial centres such as London, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Singapore.
We will encourage you to join the Trading and Investment Society and take part in competitions such as the UK Trading Challenge.
You will be taught by academic staff with recent practitioner experience as well as strong research interests in finance.
Our accounting and finance subjects are ranked:
- 3rd in London for course satisfaction by the Guardian University Guide 2016
- 3rd in London for student satisfaction by the Complete University Guide 2017.
The aims of the programme are:
- To develop your understanding of financial theory, portfolio management along with practical knowledge in the investment industry
- To develop your reflective, critical and evaluative thinking and judgement. You will be exposed to contemporary issues in the field through teaching that is strongly supported by research and professional practice
- To develop your ability to analyse, synthesise and evaluate key theoretical concepts and practical applications in finance and investment.
1 year full time
2 years part time
Applicants should have:
- A good relevant/numerate first degree (usually 2.2 or an equivalent qualification) from a recognised university or higher education institute
- Students educated in a language other than English should normally have an IELTS score of 6.5 (with a minimum of 5.5 in each skill) or equivalent in a secure English language test. Alternatively, students with an overall IELTS of 5 or 5.5 can study our pre-sessional English language programme prior to degree studies.
Students will be assessed through examinations, assignments and a research project.
Graduates can pursue careers in investment and financial analysis such as investment management, corporate finance, financial management or consulting. The programme is also designed to help prepare students for the chartered financial analyst qualification, which is in great demand in many areas of the finance industry.
The programme course listings are currently being updated. Please try loading this page again in 5 minutes.
If you are unsure about which level of study is appropriate for you, or would like more information on any of our programmes of study, you may also contact our Enquiry Unit between 09:00 and 17:00 GMT:
Telephone: 020 8331 9000
Telephone: +44 20 8331 8136
Your time at university should be enjoyable and rewarding, and it is important that it is not spoilt by unnecessary financial worries. We recommend that you spend time planning your finances, both before coming to university and while you are here. We can offer advice on living costs and budgeting, as well as on awards, allowances and loans.
Find out more about our fees and the support available to you at our:
Accounting & Finance
We offer professional qualifications in accountancy, financial services or insurance and give students the chance to combine industry expertise with practical business skills.
Download Finance and Investment, MSc brochure (PDF format)