We know leaving care and entering higher education can be a real challenge. That's why we're here to support you all the way – from application right through to graduating and finding a job. Here are just some of the ways we can help:
- Student ambassadors offer one-to-one support for passing of qualifications you'll need for university study – including A-levels, BTEC Nationals, and GCSE Maths and English.
- Help with your UCAS application, including personal statements and finance issues.
- Events such as the Care Leaver Summer School and subject-specific taster days.
- We can act on your behalf to get support from other agencies, where needed.
Staff at our Medway Campus can help you with:
- university applications
- interview skills
- personal statements
- completing PN1 finance forms
- dealing with accommodation staff
- general enquiries relating to the transition from school or college to university
- securing other benefits available to you.
We can also help with the cost of attending Open Day and interviews at the university, if you're from Kent and Medway or the London Boroughs. There is also a dedicated contact to talk to at colleges and universities in Kent and Medway.
You can take free summer courses to improve your study skills, and we run several taster days throughout the year. We give you priority for these events.
Care leaver mentoring service
Your own mentor to provide:
- a friendly ear and support
- confidential advice
- guidance on where to find other information
- help with your own informed decisions
- answers to questions about your study, living independently, or university life.
We provide year-round accommodation for care leavers – so you can live in over Christmas, Easter and summer breaks, if you like.
We use some of our accommodation for events during the summer break, so you'll either live somewhere that won't be used, or move to different accommodation during the summer. The choice is yours.
Find out more
Advice on living costs and budgeting, plus awards, allowances, grants and loans.
Enjoy life in high-quality accommodation near or on our main campuses.
Find out what we have to offer, and get a feel for what it’s like to study here.
Search for courses and programmes run by our world-class institutions and Schools.
If you come to university straight form a care environment, we can give you all the help you need with advice on finance, accommodation, academic life, employment and lots more.
According to The Children (Leaving Care) Act 2000 a care leaver is someone who has been in the care of the local authority for a period of 13 weeks or more since the age of 16.