Visas after study University of Greenwich

The following information is relevant to international students requiring a visa to be in the UK (visa nationals) and who are interested in working in the UK after study.  For all international students (whether visa nationals or not), we highly recommend the university 'Employability for international students' guide (see below) and to visit the university Employability & Careers Service information. 

After completion of study, it may be possible to apply for a visa which allows work in the UK.  You can find the official information about what types of work visa are available in the work visas area of the Home Office website.  

The Tier 2 route is a sponsored UK work visa.  This means that getting a Tier 2 visa is possible if you hold an offer of employment from an employer who holds a Tier 2 licence and is willing to offer you Tier 2 sponsorship.  See links below for more information.  You can contact ISAS to discuss your eligibility to apply for a Tier 2 visa, however we require you to have read our leaflet first (see below.)

The Tier 1 route includes the Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa, the Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur visa and the Tier 1 Investor visa. See below for more information about how the Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur visa works.

If you are a PhD student nearing completion of your programme, you may also be able to apply under the D.E.S ('Doctorate Extension Scheme') for a one year extension to your Tier 4 visa. The D.E.S Tier 4 visa allows you to undertake most types of work in the UK.  Please note that only PhD students can be eligible for this visa.  If you wish to discuss the D.E.S, contact ISAS.  You should do this as early as possible as the D.E.S scheme requires forward planning.

Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa

Visa for graduates with genuine and credible business ideas and entrepreneurial skills.

ISAS Tier 2 information leaflet

Information on the Tier 2 visa from the ISAS team.

Other sources of information

Home Office information on Tier 2

Latest information on the Tier 2 visa from the Home Office.

UKCISA information on working after study

Information about working in the UK after study from the UK Council for International Student Affairs.

Target Jobs

Advice for international students about employability, provided by Target Jobs and Agcas.