Extending your visa during study (Tier 4) University of Greenwich

If you currently hold a student visa and you need to extend it whilst in the UK, you need to make a 'Tier 4' visa application to the Home Office (UKVI).

It is only possible to make a Tier 4 application if you have a CAS from the university. The CAS is an electronic document, confirming that the university wishes to extend it's Tier 4 sponsorship of you.  It can take up to four weeks for a CAS to be processed, so you need to request one in good time. See the link at the bottom of this page for information about how to request your CAS from the University of Greenwich.

The rules and regulations of the Tier 4 visa are quite complex and change often. For this reason it is very important when making a Tier 4 application to make sure that you have checked exactly what you will need to make a successful application and that you have used the most up-to-date information about Tier 4. Attention to detail is important.

Based on our experience, we strongly recommend that you leave three months to prepare for a Tier 4 visa application before your visa expiry date. We also strongly recommend that you read the information about Tier 4 yourself rather than relying on information passed on to you by your friends.

Extending your visa to continue on the same course

1. If extending your visa to continue on the same course, see the link at the bottom of this page for information on how to request your CAS document from the university.

2. You should read the Tier 4 information provided by the Home Office (UKVI), in particular the Tier 4 Policy Guidance document which sets out the precise requirements of a Tier 4 application. If applying inside the UK, follow the 'Extend your visa' link on the gov.uk pages.

3. We also recommend that you read UKCISA's information on making a Tier 4 (General) application in the UK.

New Students:  Extending your visa to start a new programme at the University of Greenwich

Please look at our application guide above, which is relevant to students extending their visa to start a new programme with the University of Greenwich. To discuss your CAS, you need to contact the International Office rather than ISAS however.  international@gre.ac.uk / +44 (0)208 331 8136


Requesting a CAS

How to request a CAS

Registered students who need to extend their student visa will need a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number in order to make their Tier 4 application. Request a CAS here.