Information for EU students following the EU referendum University of Greenwich

Following the decision of the UK to leave the European Union, we understand that you may have some questions. The information below aims to provide you with some more details of matters that may concern you most. 

The UK has not yet left the EU and remains an EU member for the current time.  Your status in the UK therefore remains unchanged at the moment, however you may want to plan ahead for when the UK does leave the EU in March 2019. As more information becomes available, we will update this page.  You may also wish to look at UKICSA's information on what we know for EU students.

After triggering Article 50, the UK Government has provided some official information for EU nationals living in the UK.  This information aims to address common concerns.

EU students remain very important to the university and continue to be very welcome here.  The university has an EU Referendum Information Hub which is designed to provide authoritative and factual information as it is released by key Government and sector sources.  We highly recommend that all students and staff wanting to keep informed about how Brexit may affect them, should use the information hub which has been set up for this purpose.


EU students already on a degree programme at the university who are eligible to receive loans and grants from the student loan company, will continue to receive financial support for the duration of their course. The government have also confirmed that those starting with us during this academic year (2016/17) and those who start study during next academic year (2017/18) who meet the eligibility criteria, will also remain eligible for support for the duration of their programme.  More information can be found at the Student Loans Company website.  EU nationals who currently live in Northern Ireland, Wales or Scotland should check with their local funding authority; Student Finance Northern Ireland, Student Finance Wales, or Student Awards Agency Scotland for Scotland.

Any questions or concerns about student finance can be directed to the university Student Finance team.


Your residence status has not at present changed and as an EU national you remain able to live, work and study in the UK. If you have lived in the UK for at least 5 years continuously, you may be able to apply for a UK Permanent Residence card. More information can be found on this at the website. Before preparing a Permanent Residence application, we recommend that you seek professional advice.  Please feel free to contact the International Student Advice Service in the first instance.

Community Tensions

There has unfortunately been a small increase in hate crime directed towards non-UK nationals since the EU referendum.  This remains very rare and the UK is still a safe place to live. In the extremely unlikely event that you do experience any racial discrimination, this should be reported to the Police immediately.  If you live near our Medway campus, Kent Police have published some guidance on this topic. If you live in London, you can find information on the Metropolitan Police website about hate crime.

We recommend that if you are affected by this issue that you contact your campus Student Centre and ask to speak to a member of staff.