What are psychometric tests?
Psychometric tests are structured exercises designed to measure and clarify different aspects of what makes you the person you are. Employers use these test along with interviews and application forms to help them choose the most appropriate person for the job. They can be used at any time during a company’s recruitment process, foe example as an initial filter to see if you can proceed to the next stage of the selection process, or used as part of an Assessment Centre.
Types of psychometric tests
1. Aptitude or ability - these include:
- abstract or diagrammatic
- fault diagnosis
What are employers looking for?
Employers are looking at the way you approach a task, what knowledge, skills and experience you have, as well as what you are capable of doing. A psychometric test shows your ‘style’- what motivates or de-motivates you, how you would relate to your future colleagues and your organization skills.
- Practice makes perfect: trying problem-solving exercises like word and number puzzles helps train your brain to concentrate. The night before the test get a good nights sleep and treat it like an interview.
- On the day of the test listen to the instructions carefully: you will be given practice examples before the actual test and this is your opportunity to ask any questions.
- During the test, read the questions carefully and pay attention to your accuracy. Don’t waste time on one question, leave it until the end and go back to it: most people find Psychometric tests hard so don’t panic if you unable to complete it.
How can GET help you?
GET can help you prepare for your psychometric tests in a number of ways:
- Attend one of the GET Psychometric Testing workshops to find out more about what they are; why they are used; when they are used and how to be better prepared
- GET offers you the chance to register to take the PSL/Kenexa test online (see below)
- Talk to one of our careers advisers who are qualified to advise on psychometric testing issues, and who will be happy to help answer your questions including discussing your online test results in a confidential setting.
Take a psychometric test online via GET
Practice tests will help you prepare for the real thing because you will be more familiar with the procedure and the style of questions. It is believed that practice tests may improve your performance and therefore boost your confidence levels. They will also help you understand more about your strengths and weaknesses, and how these might shape your career and personal choices. Submit the online booking form below. You will then be emailed at the address you have provided, with details of how to access the online test. After the test, full feedback will be e-mailed to you directly from the test provider. GET will also receive a copy.
* = Required Field
In addition to the PSL/Kenexa online test mentioned above there are anumber of external websites that will allow you to practice a range of tests.
GET Employability Centre resources
Information on psychometric tests is also available in the campus Employability Centres.