Professor Mike Bradley
Mike took his apprenticeship at GEC Avionics and then gained a first degree in Engineering at Thames Polytechnic. He now manages The Wolfson Centre for Bulk Solids Handling Technology and provides technical leadership in areas as diverse as hoppers and silos, pneumatic conveyors, caking and segregation, instrumentation and control.
- PhD (CNAA) Prediction of Pressure Losses in Pneumatic conveying Systems, Thames Polytechnic, 1990
- BSc (Hons) Engineering First Class, Thames Polytechnic (CNAA), 1983
- Ordinary Technician Certificate in Mechanical & Production
- Engineering(ONC) Mid-Kent College (BTEC), 1980
- Bulk solids handling, with particular reference to pneumatic conveying, hopper and silos. Work performed whilst undertaking PhD at Thames Polytechnic was aimed at fulfilling an industrial requirement for improvement of design of pneumatic conveying systems, and this work has been developed to the point where the techniques developed are now in regular use for consulting projects
- Pneumatic Conveyors: Design techniques and fundamental physical research
- Hoppers and Silos: Design techniques for reliable flow
- Caking of Bulk solids (i.e. undesirable lump formation)
- Fundamental physical research and prevention techniques
- Attrition of Particles in Processing: techniques for prediction and prevention
- Segregation of Particles (i.e. undesired de-blending): techniques for prediction and prevention
- Abrasive Wear: techniques for prediction, and relationship to mechanical properties
- Erosive Wear: techniques for prediction
Since 2001 I have written 15 papers for International Refereed Journals and 34 for International Refereed Conferences, the latest being the CHoPS Conference in Italy in August 2006.
- Member of British Standards Institution Panel MHE/9/-/1, "Pneumatic conveying"
- Member of British Standards Institution Committee MHE/9, "Bulk Materials handling"
- Member of Council of Solids Handling and Processing
- Association, and member of technical sub-committee
- Member of Institution of Mechanical Engineers Bulk
- Materials handling Committee
- Member of Materials handling Engineers' Association
- Member of Editorial Board, Proceedings of the Institution of
- Mechanical Engineers (Journal of Process Mechanical Engineering)
- Member of Editorial Board, Powder Handling and Processing journal
- Contributor to International Cargo Handling Co-ordination
- Association code of practice for safety in operation of Oil-Bulk-Ore carrying vessels
- Member of International Scientific Committee to regular international conference "Conveying and Handling of Particulate Solids"
- Member of Proposal Assessment Panel, Norwegian Research Council