Senior Lecture, Tourism and Heritage Management
Department of Marketing, Events and Tourism
Dr Catherine Kelly has more than 17 years’ experience as an academic and consultant in the cultural, heritage and tourism sector. Dr Kelly has worked in the UK, Ireland and United States and held various roles in academia from management, course development, to research, consultancy and lecturing.
Responsibilities within the university:
Dr Kelly has held various roles within the university including MA programme leader for previous MA Cultural Industries, Museum Management, Arts Management, Cultural Tourism Management, International Tourism Management and Heritage Management. Dr Kelly has led and participated in programme validation and review events at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Dr Kelly has also held former research coordinator responsibilities with the MET department.
Teaching and administrative activities
Course leader for a variety of courses at BA and MA levels, including:
• Research methods, Heritage Politics, Cultural Tourism, Global Tourism, Contemporary Issues in Tourism and Foundations of Scholarship. Prior to working at Greenwich, teaching areas have included human geography and heritage studies.
• Administrative duties have been related to Programme leadership roles.
• 3 MPhil (by research) completions - Agricultural Change in the UK (Kingston University), Rural Tourism in Ireland (DIT) and Rural Housing and Community Change in Western Ireland (GMIT)
2 on-going PhD supervisions:
• Seaside resorts and cultural regeneration at the University of Greenwich and Cultural Heritage Contexts to Visiting Friends and Relatives Tourism at the University of Greenwich.
Current research areas of interest include;
• Heritage, arts, and culture.
• Tourism and national identities.
• Heritage representations and authenticity.
• Museum form, function and exhibition content.
• Rural community development, rural tourism, issues of sustainability.
• New forms of leisure and tourism – holistic and wellness tourism.
• University Committee Member of the British Standards Institute (BSI) for the Wellness Tourism and Spa Sector 2009-present
• Member of UNESCO Word Heritage Site Education Committee, Greenwich 2005-11
• External Examiner, Plymouth University 2011-present
• Museums Association (UK) Education Liaison Committee Member 2004-08
• National Institutes of Technology’ Representative on the National Council for Curricular Assessment’s (NCCA) senior cycle Geography syllabus development committee 1997-2002
• Associate and Committee member of the National Institute of Regional and Spatial Analysis (NIRSA), NUIM, Ireland 1998-2003
Kelly, C. (2012) Wellness Tourism: Retreat Visitor Motivations and Experiences Tourism Recreation Research. Volume 37(3) pp205-215
Kelly, C (2010) Analyzing Wellness Tourism Provision: A Retreat Operators’ Study. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management Volume.17 pp108-116
Kelly, C. (2009) HERITAGE. In: Thrift, N. and Kitchin, R. (eds.) The International Encyclopedia of Human Geography. Elsevier, London. (contributor for section on Social and Cultural Geography: Heritage)
Kelly, C. (2007) Heritage and Tourism – book chapter in ‘Understanding Contemporary Ireland’, Bartley, B and Kitchin, R. (eds). London: Pluto Press.
Kelly, C. (2006) Heritage Tourism Politics in Ireland – book chapter in Cultural Tourism in a Changing World: Politics, Participation and (Re) Presentation. Smith M., and Robinson, M (eds). Clevedon: Channel View Publications.
Kelly, C and Kokkranikal, J. (2010) The Evolution of Wellness Tourism in India: A case Study of Kerala. TTRA European Conference, refereed papers, Budapest, Hungary, 2010.
Kelly, C. and Ni Laoire, C. (2005) Representing Multiple Irish Heritage(s): A Case Study of the Ulster-American Folk Park. Irish Geography Journal, Vol 38 (1), pp72-83
Kelly, C. and Roodhouse, S. (2004) Counting Culture? Practical Challenges for the Museum and Heritage Sector. University of Greenwich Press.
Kelly, C and Smith, M. (2009) Holistic Tourism: Integrating Body Mind and Spirit. Chapter In: Sheldon, P. & Bushell, R. (eds) Wellness Tourism: Mind, Body, Spirit, Place. Innovation and Tourism Book Series: Cognizant, USA.
Kelly, C. and Smith, M. (2006) Editorship and Editorial. Special Edition: Wellness Tourism. Journal of Tourism and Recreation Research. Vol. 31(1), pp1-5
Kelly, C. and Smith, M. (2006) Journeys of the Self: the Rise of the Wellness Tourism Sector. Journal of Tourism and Recreation Research. Vol. 31(1), pp15-25
Kelly, C. and Wilks, C. (2008) "Fact, Fiction and Nostalgia: An Assessment of Heritage Interpretation at Living Museums". International Journal of Intangible Heritage, Vol 3, pp 127-143.
[Pre-2004 publications available on request]
* Regular Book Reviews for Butterworth Heinnemann and Sage, and Journal reviews for a variety of journals in tourism fields.
* Regular conference presenter at RGS and the main Tourism conferences.