MA, MSc, PhD, MCMI
Professor of Economic Sociology, Head of the Department of International Business & Economics
Department of International Business and Economics
Professor Bruce Cronin specialises in the role of business networks in strategy and innovation within and across organisational and national boundaries. He has been Head of the Department of International Business & Economics since 2006 and Director of the University of Greenwich’s Centre for Business Network Analysis since its establishment.
His corporate clients have included:
- Ernst & Young
- Pensions Regulator
- Oxford University Press
- Work Foundation
- Institute of Management Consultants
- Universities UK
- London Knowledge Network.
Responsibilities within the university
Teaching and administrative activities
- Head of Department, International Business & Economics
- Director of the Centre for Business Network Analysis
- Course Leader for BUSI1189 Business Networks and BUSI1354 International Business Strategy
Liang Liang: The impact of social networks on inter-organisational collaboration in innovation.
Andrew Ervine: Culture and culturalism and their contribution to the effectiveness of local strategic partnerships.
Stefanos Michiotis: Towards an archetypal change model for organisations.
Albert Evans: Managing the spoils: British trade and strategy and the Dutch colonies, 1795–1816, with particular emphasis on Guiana and Java.
Matthew Smith: International Trade and Investment Networks
Dr Christos Bassa: Deciphering strategies to manage knowledge creation processes – leveraging product and technology development (PhD).
Bankole Olagbaiye: Project and process management in the context of organisational complexity (MPhil).
Imad Guenane: Organisational process spillovers from foreign direct investment in Algeria (MPhil).
Shir Ali Narouei: An empirical investigation into the UK profit rate 1949-1998 (MPhil).
Ann Braithwaite, Mapping knowledge flows using archetypes (MRes).
- Secretary/Treasurer, UK Social Networks Association
- Treasurer, Association for Heterodox Economics
- Editor, Business Networks
- Member, Royal Economic Society Conference of Heads of University Departments of Economics.
- Member of the editorial boards of the Forum for Social Economics, Connections and The Journal of Knowledge, Culture and Change.
- Member of the international advisory boards for the European Knowledge Management Conference, the International Conference on Knowledge, Culture and Change in Organisations, the International Conference on Knowledge Management and Information Sharing and the World Association for Political Economy, and the Freeman Awards Committee of the International Network of Social Network Analysts.
Recent funded projects
Professor Cronin’s current and previous funded research projects include:
- Parent-subsidiary structures in foreign direct investment
- Business-governmental relationships
- Managerial career networks.
Cronin, Bruce (2011) A window on emergent European social network analysis.
and Cronin, Bruce (2011) Assessing capacity and maturity for change in organizations: A patterns-based tool derived from complexity and archetypes.
Lee, Frederick S.,
Cronin, Bruce C.,
and Dean, Erik (2010) Research quality rankings of heterodox economic journals in a contested dscipline.
and Devletoglou, Helen (2010) Revealing hidden issues and assessing intangible assets in organizations and communities.
Cronin, Bruce (2008) Economic restructuring in New Zealand: A classical account.
Cronin, Bruce (2008) Journal citation among heterodox economists 1995-2007: Dynamics of community emergence.
and Hall, David (2007) Offshoring and its consequences for the employment relationship in the service sector.
Cronin, Bruce (2007) [Book reviews] Capital resurgent: roots of the neoliberal revolution.
Cronin, Bruce (2012) National and transnational structuring of the British corporate elite.
Cronin, Bruce (2011) The diffusion of heterodox economics.
Lee, Frederic S.
and Cronin, Bruce (2011) Research quality rankings of heterodox economic journals in a contested discipline.
Cronin, Bruce (2010) Complex dynamics in information sharing networks.
Cronin, Bruce (2009) Interlocking directorships.
Cronin, Bruce (2009) Theories of the state.
Cronin, Bruce (2008) Dynamic evolution in information sharing networks.
Cronin, Bruce (2007) Managing collaborative networks.
and Popov, Vladimir (2010) Political facets of business networks: politics and interlocking directorates in Russia.
and Bassayannis, Christos (2009) Chinese supply networks: an interactive guanxi approach for product development.
and Bassayannis, Christos (2008) Managing the supply side for product development in China: a Guanxi network approach.
Recent conference presentations
and Su, Larry (2008) Relational dimensions of corporate governance in translation: networked governance in China and India.
and Popov, Vladimir (2008) Politics and interlocking directorates in Russia and UK: are they really so different?.
Cronin, Bruce (2008) Isomorphic effects of managerial and directoral career paths.
and Popov, Vladimir (2008) Politics and interlocking directorates in Russia: how distinctive?.