Caking and Lump Formation in Powders and Bulk Solids
This course is now only available as an In Company course for 2015.
New dates will be set for 2016 later in the year.
Please contact the Wolfson Centre for In Company fees
This new one-day course is designed to deal with issues relating to keeping powders and granules in a free-flowing, lump-free condition. A large percentage of work undertaken at the Wolfson Centre relates directly to the spoiling and/or solidifying of powders and particulates during handling, storage and discharge. In order to pass on this knowledge and expertise, the one day course on Caking and Lump Formation in Powders and Bulk Solids has been developed to provide process engineers with the information they need to predict and avoid this problem that can cost the company valuable time and money in re-work, lost customer confidence and reduced business.
- Understanding the forces between particles and how they relate to chemistry, the environment and physical processes;
- Methods for determining caking tendencies of powders and granules;
- Practical advice on changes to the product and the handling and storage conditions to reduce this problem;
- Advice on selection of the solution and practical implementation;
- Extensive case studies of caking problems and their solutions across the food, pharmaceutical, chemical, mineral and other industries.
This is a one-day course, with an emphasis on the practical aspects of technology. We begin with a comprehensive introduction to give a basic understanding of materials handling, before moving on to more detailed work.
We'll use case studies throughout to illustrate the presentations, with plenty of discussion periods so that we can analyse any specific problems experienced by attendees.
Is this for me?
The course is aimed at Produce Managers, Development Chemists/Formulators, Quality Assurance Officers and Plant Designers/Managers.
Operational staff or senior management will also benefit through a better understanding of what can go wrong and how to make your plant as efficient and trouble-free as possible. The course is ideal for those new to materials handling, those who require an update on the subject, or those who need a working knowledge of the behaviour of powdered/granular materials.
The course will be held at the University of Greenwich Medway Short Course Centre, Chatham Maritime, Kent
The course leader is Mike Bradley, Professor of Bulk and Particulate Technologies and Director of the Wolfson Centre. He has worked internationally on design and troubleshooting for bulk solids handling as a commercial consultant and research expert for over twenty years.
Also contributing will be Richard Farnish, Consultant Engineer, who has over ten years' experience in commercial design work related to materials handling; and Dr Rob Berry, a Research Fellow with several years' experience in bulk solids handling technology.
Please note that The Wolfson Centre reserves the right to substitute leaders of equal quality should this be dictated by circumstances beyond their control.
Registration and fee
To book your place please complete the online booking form. The fee is payable upon return of the registration form and covers lectures, course notes, lunch and refreshments. All applicants will be acknowledged and confirmed. A discount of 5% is available for 3 or more delegates from the same company attending the same course at the same time.
Note: It's important to make sure that there is time available to deal the delegates' specific issues. As a result, numbers are strictly limited and we recommend early registration.
This course can be delivered as an In-Company course. These are proving to be a popular option for companies who have a number of personnel who would benefit from education in the subject area, for 3 main reasons:
- COST: It is more economic for us to bring the course to you, than for you to send several staff out to us;
- RELEVANCE: We can tailor the course programme to suit the operations you have in your plant, hence reducing the amount of material which is not directly relevant;
- CONVENIENCE: We can run the course when iot suits you, even over several separate days rather than in a block if it is better for you.
If you are interested in discussing your requirements, please contact us.