BA Hons, Diploma, PGCHE, Practice Teachers Award, MA
Senior Lecturer, Social Work
Department of Psychology, Social Work & Counselling
Faculty of Education & Health
Jackie is a qualified Child Protection and fostering Social Worker with more than ten years’ experience in both local authority and independent fostering agencies. She has also acted as co-ordinator for a respite care scheme for children with disabilities for a local authority, and has chaired fostering panels and has delivered training to foster carers.
She moved into social work education in 2001 and was Placement Co-ordinator for the Diploma in Social Work at Bromley College. As well as currently being Senior Lecturer at the University of Greenwich, she also acted as Associate Lecturer and Programme Tutor with the Open University on their undergraduate social work programme.
Jackie took the lead as programme leader in the development of the MA/PGDip Social Work which was successfully approved in 2010. The programme commenced in September 2011.
Her primary areas of teaching on the undergraduate and postgraduate social work programmes include: Social Work Skills, Values, Ethics and Diversity. She also supervises undergraduate and postgraduate dissertations and acts as Practice Support Tutor to undergraduate and postgraduate students undertaking practice placements in a range of settings including statutory and independent sectors.
Posts held previously
- 2006–2007: Part-time Lecturer in Social Work Bromley College of Further and Higher Education
- 2006–2012: Associate Lecturer and Programme Tutor, The Open University
- 2005–2006: Assessing Social Worker- Safe Haven Fostering and Leaving Care Services
- 2003–2005: Supervising Social Worker - The Adolescent and Children’s Trust
- 2001–2003: Practice Placement Co-ordinator - Bromley College of Further and Higher Education
- 1998–2001: Social Work Co-ordinator Family Link respite care scheme Westminster City Council Family Placements Team
- 1994–1998: Child Protection Social Worker Royal Borough of Greenwich.
Child protection and Looked after Children.
Reviewed Writing for Scholars: A Practical Guide to Making Sense and Being Heard Nygaard (2012) for Sage Publication.
Membership of external and internal committees, boards or working parties
Jackie is registered as a Social Worker with the Health and Care Professions Council.