BA, PGCert, MARes (current)
Senior Lecturer, Programme Leader for BA (Hons) Events Management
Department of Marketing, Events and Tourism
Emma Abson is a Senior Lecturer and Programme Leader on the BA (Hons) Events Management programme.
Emma joined the University after a successful career in the events industry, during which she worked on many high profile events, most recently running an events department for a publishing organisation. She is now able to incorporate her wide range of industry experience with her knowledge and understanding of the study of events management. Since joining the University, Emma has been involved in a number of programme reviews and has developed multiple courses across the programme. She has been the programme leader for the past three years.
Emma is currently undertaking her PhD in leadership behaviours and has had a number of articles published in academic journals and industry papers. She has also been involved in several research and consultancy projects since starting at the University of Greenwich. She is an external examiner and a reviewer for the International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management.
Research and Consultancy
- "Determining the role of leadership in event managers" – Masters by Research thesis
- Involved in a study of economic impacts for the Royal Borough of Greenwich (ongoing – 2 journal papers pending)
- Continued event management consultancy for various firms
- Leadership in events, hospitality and tourism
- Human resource management
- Corporate events
- Event operations
- Crowd behaviour
- Student engagement