PhD, MSc, BA
Senior lecturer, International Human Resource Management
Department of Human Resources and Organisational Behaviour
Dr Ulke Veersma’s major research interest is in European industrial relations and the social dimension of the European Union. Dr Veersma has a special interest in comparative studies of workers’ participation, for example through company works councils and European Works Councils. Dr Veersma is currently involved in a joint research project on financial participation with the University of Nijmegen in the Netherlands.
- Project Board-level Employee Representation (funded by the EC), 2004-06
- Social Dialogue and Collective Bargaining in Europe. Bosnia, Sarajewo, 2010 (funded by the EC): a consultancy project in Bosnia and Herzegowinia aiming to rebuild labour market institutions through social dialogue and collective bargaining. Currently involved in organising a follow up.
- Preparation of a section on the minimum wage in the Netherlands of the report with other colleagues and compiled by Geoff White and presented to the Low pay commission, 2011
- Organiser of ‘East meets West: Chinese and Indian Business working in Europe’. Focusing on cultural clashes. Keynote speaker: Professor Geert Hofstede.
Responsibilities within the university:
Teaching and administrative activities
- Course leader MA International Context of HRM
- Course leader MA and MBA International Business course ‘Managing and Leading People across Cultural Borders’
- Lecturer on Cross Cultural Management (second years)
- Supervisor for undergraduate and postgraduate dissertations
- Tutor for Career Management
Currently supervising four PhD students and involved with the supervision of two students on a Doctorate by Education and one MA by Research.
- financial (employee) participation
- cross-cultural management in various ways like through education and consultancy, especially with Indian business
- Involved with the continuation, with the University of Sarajewo, of the project on social dialogue and collective bargaining practices.
Gold, M., and Veersma, U. (2011), ‘Public Sector Reform and Employment Relations in Europe’ In Susan Corby and Graham Symon (eds.), Working for the State. Employment Relations in the Public Services. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
Ligthart, P., Poutsma, E. and Veersma, U. (2009), Financial Participation and Institutional Change in France, Germany, the Netherlands, the UK and Australia. 15th IIRA (International Industrial Relations Association) World Congress. Sydney, 24-27 August.
Poutsma, E. and Veersma, U. (2010), ‘Direct and Indirect Participation: reconciling voices?’ In Francesco Garibaldo and Volker Telljohann (eds.), The Ambivalent Character of Participation. New Tendencies in Worker Participation in Europe. Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang. Pp. 25-32.
Poutsma, E. and Veersma, U. (2009), ‘Direct and Indirect Participation in various Institutional Settings’. International Journal of Employment Studies. Vol. 17, No. 1. Pp. 1-18.
Poutsma, E. and Veersma, U. (2009), ‘Employment relations and financial participation. A comparison between France, the UK, Germany and the Netherlands’. 7th ICAFT – International Conference on Accounting and Finance in Transition University of Greenwich, 23-25 July.
Veersma, U. (2009), 'Industrial relations in the new Europe: the laborious development of a European Social’. Journal of HRM [Journal or HRM]. Vol. 12, Spring issue. Pp. 97-110.