MA, PGDip, PhD
Before becoming an academic, first at Manchester Metropolitan University and since 1998 at the University of Greenwich, Professor Susan Corby was Senior Industrial Relations Officer at the Royal College of Midwives and Assistant General Secretary of the Association of First Division Civil Servants (FDA).
Professor Corby was a research officer for Industrial Relations Services, a commercial publisher and also worked for the Advisory Conciliation & Arbitration Service when it was first established in 1975.
Responsibilities within the university
Teaching and administrative activities
- Programme leader
- PGCert in Individual Employment Dispute Resolution
- Rupert Harwood: Reasonable adjustments for people with disabilities
- Roger Wornham: Mediation in workplace disputes
- Current: Arbitrator for the Advisory, Conciliation & Arbitration Service (Acas)
- 2006–10: Independent expert under the equal value legislation
- 1989–2012: Member of the Central Arbitration Committee
- 1988-2010: Member of the Employment Appeal Tribunal
- The institutions and procedures for adjudicating employment rights in 10 countries: Germany, Great Britain, France, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, South Africa, Sweden, and the USA.
Corby, Susan and Latreille, Paul L. (2014) Lay judges and labor courts: a question of legitimacy.
Corby, Susan and Latreille, Paul L. (2012) Employment Tribunals and the civil courts: isomorphism exemplified.
Corby, Susan and Latreille, Paul (2012) Tripartite adjudication — an endangered species.
Corby, Susan (2011) Austerity may hit equality programme.
Corby, Susan and Latreille, Paul (2011) 'Balance' that adds value to decision-making.
Corby, Susan and Stanworth, Celia (2009) A price worth paying?: Women and work – choice, constraint or satisficing.
Corby, Susan (2008) Closing the public/private sector pay gap needs more than rhetoric.
Woodhams, Carol and Corby, Susan (2007) Then and now: disability legislation and employers' practices in the UK.
Symon, Graham and Corby, Susan (2011) Making sense of public sector employment relations in a time of crisis.
Corby, Susan (2008) Pay equity: gender and age.
Corby, Susan and Lindop, Esmond (2008) Drawing the threads together.
Palmer, Steve and Lindop, Esmond (2008) Trends and tensions: an overview.
Corby, Susan (2007) Equality in Britain’s 'modernised' public services.
Corby, Susan and Burgess, Pete (2014) Adjudicating employment rights: A cross-national approach.
Corby, Susan and Symon, Graham
(2011) Working for the state: employment relations in the public services.
Corby, Susan (2013) Labour courts in Great Britain and Sweden: a self-service model v collective regulation.
Corby, Susan and Dennison, Paul (2007) Gender, age and employment tribunal claims.