BSc, MSc, PhD
Senior Lecturer in Finance and Banking
Dr Cesario Mateus joined the University of Greenwich in 2006. He holds a PhD in Finance from Aarhus School of Business, University of Aarhus, Denmark, an MSc in Finance, and a BSc Hons in Economics. He has received grants and scholarships from the Danish Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation, the American Finance Association and Financial Management Association.
Dr Mateus has written several academic papers and newspaper articles (for the European Journal of Finance, International Review of Financial Analysis, Journal of Money, Investment and Banking and other titles) and has presented his research at invited seminars and international conferences in more than 30 countries. His research focuses on firms’ financing decisions, valuations, right issues and recently, portfolio management, hedge funds and ETFs’ performance.
He has been a referee for several academic journals, including the Journal of Empirical Finance, Journal of Money, Investment and Banking, International Journal of Managerial Finance, Brazilian Finance Journal and National Tax Journal, and has taught as a visiting professor at several universities, including Universitat Pompeu Fabra (Barcelona); Cass Business School and Aston Business School (UK); Catholic University of Lisbon; University of Melbourne (Australia); and the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, (Brazil).
Dr Mateus was a visiting scholar at the Department of Finance at The Fuqua School of Business, Duke University, USA (2003); consultant at the Portuguese Stock Exchange Commission research department (2008–09); and Millennium BCP (1992–99).
Responsibilities within the university
Teaching and administrative activities
- FINA1082 Financial Management (2009–present)
- FINA 0030 Portfolio Management (2008–present)
- FINA1070 Financial Trading Techniques (2006–present)
- MSc Financial Management (2010–12)
- Ailun Ye (VC scholarship): The Impact of High Frequency Trading on Market Liquidity Risk and Flash Crashes
- Lloyd Miller: Private Equity Buyouts and Firm Efficiency
- Amir Keshavarz: Modelling Credit Risk for SMEs
- Ekaterina Klenina: Risk Management in Financial Institutions
MA by Research supervision
- Worawuth Kongsilp: Options Implied Volatility and Future Prices Prediction
Internal PhD examiner
- Tanuja Baddevithana (2013): Bank Regulation Implications for Managing Accounting Quality Risk: A Basel and IFRS Perspective
- Nawar Hashem (2011): Industry Concentration and Stock Returns: Evidence from Publicly Listed Firms in the UK
Founder member of the Centre for Governance, Risk & Accountability (GRA), University of Greenwich Business School
Editorial board member (founder) of The Beagle, a Journal of Student Research and Enterprise.
- 2013 Winner of the bid for Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship
- 2006 Research grant from the Danish Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation
- 2003 American Finance Association PhD Student Grant
- 2002 Financial Management Association (FMA) Doctoral Seminar Grant (sponsored by NASDAQ)
Editorial board memberships
- 2013: Guest editor International Journal of Financial Research – Financial Crisis, Sovereign Risk and Contagion
- 2013–present: Universal Journal of Accounting and Finance
- 2008–present: Journal of Money, Banking and Investment
- 2005–06: Economia Pura, Portuguese Journal in Economics, Management and Finance.
- PG courses in Finance for University of Buckingham (2013–present)
- UG courses in Finance for Jersey Business School (2013–present)
- PG courses in Finance for Westminster Business School (2009–13)
- European Corporate Governance Institute
- American Finance Association
- European Finance Association
- Financial Management Association
- European Financial Management Association
- Western Finance Association and Royal Economic Society
Programme committee member
- European Finance Association meetings (Hamburg 2010, Bergen 2009, Athens 2008, Ljubljana 2007, Zurich 2006)
- European Financial Management Association (Barcelona 2012, Aarhus 2010, Madrid 2006)
- Financial Management Association Conference, USA (Chicago 2013, Atlanta 2012, New York 2010, Reno 2009, Dallas 2008, Orlando 2007, Salt Lake City 2006, Chicago 2005 and New Orleans 2004)
- Financial Management Association European Conference (Istanbul 2012, Porto 2011, Turin 2009, Prague 2008, Barcelona 2007, Stockholm 2006, Siena 2005 and Zurich 2004)
- Financial Management Association Asian meetings (Shanghai 2013 and Queenstown 2012)
- Campus for Finance (Vallendar, Germany, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008)
- Midwest Finance Association Annual Meeting (Texas, USA, 2008)
- INFINITI Conference (Aix-en-Provence, France 2013, Dublin 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007)
- Decision Sciences Institute Annual Meeting (San Antonio, USA, 2006)
- Brazilian Finance Society (S. Paulo, 2010, S. Leopoldo, Brazil, 2009)
- Journal of Empirical Finance
- International Journal of Managerial Finance
- National Tax Journal
- Journal of Money, Investment and Banking
- Universal Journal of Accounting and Finance.
- Brazilian Finance Journal (Brazilian Finance Society)
- Revista de Administração de Empresa (Fundação Getúlio Vargas)
- Pearson Higher Education
- Horizon Research Publishing
Academic seminars (by invitation)
- City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong (2010)
- University of Ben-Gurion, Israel (2008)
- Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Graduate School of Economics, Barcelona, Spain (2008)
- International Logistics and Supply Chain Congress, Istambul, Turkey (2008)
- UFRGS, Porto Alegre, Brazil (2008)
- Bocconi University, Milan (2006)
- Aarhus School of Business, Department of Finance, Denmark (2005)
External PhD examiner
- Rasa Karapandza (2009), Three Essays in Financial Economics, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain
- Mios Buzovic (2009), Risks in Commodity and Currency Markets, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain
External MSc examiner
- Window Dressing in Portuguese Mutual Funds (2010), MSc in Finance, University of Porto, Faculty of Economics, Portugal
- PT Multimedias's Share Buyback – A Case Study (2009), MSc in Finance, Catholic University of Lisbon, Portugal
- Level and Structure Determinants of CEO's Compensation: Portugal versus Spain (2008), MSc in Finance, University of Porto, Faculty of Economics, Portugal
His research focuses on financial markets, portfolio management, investment decisions, valuation, right issues, capital structure and tax issues; hedge funds; and ETF performance.
- Rights Issues: Do Investors Dislike Large Price Discounts?
- Does Listing Status Affect Entrenchment?
- What Determines Cash Holdings at Privately Held and Publicly Traded Firms?
- Capital Structure and Debt Maturity in Emerging Markets
and Olson, Dennis (2012) Do Portuguese private firms follow pecking order financing?.
and Olson, Dennis (2012) Do small and medium sized enterprises match their assets and liabilities? Evidence from Portugal.
Gama, Ana Paula Matias
and Mateus, Cesário (2010) Does trade credit facilitate access to bank finance? An empirical evidence from Portuguese and Spanish small medium size enterprises.
and Mateus, Cesario (2008) Taxes and corporate debt policy: evidence for unlisted firms of sixteen European countries.
Recent conference presentations
and Mateus, Cesario (2009) Trade credit linkages along the supply chain: evidence for the Italian textile sector.
and Mateus, Cesario (2008) The effect of ownership structure, country governance, and financial development on the capital structure of unlisted eastern European firms.
and Yeoh, Li Shun (2008) Banking and currency crises in emerging market: the magnified effect of twin crises on output.
and Mateus, Cesario (2008) Financing of SME's: an asset side story.
and Kuo, Tzu-Wei (2008) The performance and persistence of exchange-traded funds: evidence for iShares MSCI country-specific ETFs.
and Kuo, Tzu-We (2007) The performance and persistence of exchange-traded funds: evidence for iShares MSCI country-specific ETFs.
and Kuo, Tzu-Wei (2007) The performance and persistence of exchange-traded funds: evidence for iShares MSCI country-specific ETFs.